Interview with Dabs and Myla
Tue, 01/24/2012 - 17:08
Today I'm going to introduce to you guys this adorable australian couple of graffiti writers, please welcome Dabs and Myla. These fellas have been doing some extremely funky and interesting artworks both on the streets and on galleries. So it's really nice to have a the opportunity to understand more about their story and other topics.
If you want to know more about this adorable couple, please visit their Website or their Blog.
1) In the name of the Abduzeedo team, I would like to thank you guys for your time and kindness to answer this interview. Let's start by asking you, when you start getting interest by Graffiti and Illustration?
DABS: We actually both started at different points, I had been writing graffiti for about 10 years before we met. We met and fell in love at Art School, and started working together. I taught MYLA how to use spray paint when we met, and the basics of style writing. She took it from there and developed her own skill set and style very quickly! We have both always been interested in illustration and painting though! Even before we studied together we had a similar interest in style and technique.
2) Tell us more about your influences and guys who inspired you.
MYLA: I think that we gain the majority of our inspiration from each other. We are really lucky to be able to share our lives and our artwork together, and we are constantly influencing each other and bouncing ideas and new theories back and forth. Outside of that though, I think we get a lot of inspiration from our friends and crew members. That's whats great about being in a crew, working with your friends on a large scale and constantly learning from each other.
3) I find your artworks and graffs really amazing, they're so colorful and happy. So, when you developed this aesthetic and how could you describe it.
DABS:Our style is something that has slowly developed bit by bit over the past 7 years. I think it comes from our early influences in illustration and old animation, as well as being a reflection of our attitude and day to day steez! We are really happy people! We love our life and enjoy pretty much every second of it...so I think our artwork and characters has a positive vibe on it just based on the people its coming from.
4) Nowadays, do you think that it's possible to make a living doing Graffiti and Street Art?
DABS: Of course!!...If your willing to work your ass off for it and have confidence in your own abilities.
5) How's you daily workflow?
MYLA: Hectic!!...We always seem to have more to do than we can fit into one day!!..But we love it that way! We love what we do, and love to work hard at it. We spend pretty much 7 days a week from 7am till 11pm working in the studio on our paintings. The only times we really leave is to go outside and paint a wall. We are lucky that we both enjoy the same things and have a similar work ethic which allows us to work like crazy like this!!
6) What's you favorite piece at the moment?
MYLA: I think at the moment our favorite piece is a painting that we just made for a show in Miami during Art Basel titled 'You are the light'. It's a bigger scale painting for us, and we are really happy with how it came out.
7) What are your future projects for 2012?
DABS:We have a lot of interesting things ahead in 2012. Like most years we will spend the majority of the year working on paintings for shows, but we are planning to take more time to paint more large scale murals this year, and will be traveling a bit too. We also will be curating a show at Thinkspace Gallery in L.A which i think will be pretty epic!!
8) Tell us five lessons you've learned till now on being a successful Graphic Artist.
*WORK HARDER AND LONGER THAN YOU THINK YOU COULD EVER POSSIBLY WORK.
*ALWAYS KEEP PUSHING YOURSELF AND YOUR STYLE.
*MAKE THINGS THE WAY YOU WANT THEM TO LOOK, DONT BE TOO INFLUENCED BY TRENDS OR WHATS GOING ON AROUND YOU. DO IT FOR YOURSELF.
*DONT BE A DICK TO PEOPLE!!
*THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT...ALWAYS!!!
9) Tell us five site you love.
10) Thanks for your time Dabs and Myla, please leave a final message to everyone how's starting at the creative field.
DABS:Its just art...don't kill your self over it!! Enjoy it and have fun!