Jan 21, 2014
Most people may think that game designer are only responsible for the visuals, but actually all their design should convey gameplay, storytelling and usability prior to anything. Larisa Kalinovskaya is a game designer from Ukraine with a vast experience on doing mobile games, today she shared with us a bit of her work and experiences.
You can see more from Larisa on the following links:
1) First of all I would like to thank you for doing this interview, it's an honor for us to present more about you to our readers. I would like to start asking you about when your interest for illustration and game design?
Thank you Marcos, I always liked to draw and dream up, but for a long time I didn't know what exactly I want to do. Over 3 years ago I realized that creating new virtual worlds atracts me most of all. Game art and game design are easiest way to this (as for me). And I like the process very much.
2) Which artists do you use as reference?
I haven't got any special artists for reference, I like many artistst and many works. But I always admired peoples, how can see unexpected in ordinary things.
3) Your style is quite influenced by childbooks and vector art. How did you develop this style and how would you describe it?
I don't how to describe this. Develope... Hmm... Such things just appeares in my head...
4) Describe us a bit about your creative process while creating a piece.
If it is commercial work, after talking with client, first of alI learn existing games, then think and draw sketches. After sketches I select colors and draw shapes in vector, then add shadows, lights and so on.. And correct colors, size, shapes and place of objects. Then I leave work for some hours before sending to client.
5)What's would you consider the best moment on you career till now? And what would you consider your best artwork?
I have "best moment" every time when I have the IDEA and understand that it hits the bull's-eye.
Best work... I like all my works, because I do my best every time, when I draw. but some time late I begin to see my mistakes and ways to do better every work.
6) How do you describe your daily routine?
I'm a freelance and haven't got any office. I work from morning till noon and at night.
7) Being a multimedia artist, please tell us what's your favorite media to work with? Why?
I'm 2D game artist and like to work with Adobe Illustrator and Manga Studio.
8) Tell us four lessons you believe are really important for every game artist.
1. Remember for whom and for what you create games.
2. Usability is foremost.
4. Keep your mind open.
9) Tell us five websites that you like to visit.
10) Thanks again for your time, please leave a final message for the ones who are starting out on this kind of business.
Don't be afraide to use new ideas.