BEWARE of a tasty Pizza picture in this article. On the serious side, I do miss making brand identities. The feeling of going to the printer to proof a print job for your client was a lot of fun.
Well was approached by Disruption Labs in 2018 to collaborate on a project which saw the R&D company implement patented nanotechnology into the already booming CBD sector in the US and Europe. The Disruption Labs team, led by Matt Reid and Chris Barber wanted to create a brand that didn't fit in with the current "pop-culture" aesthetic of the industry. For one, their CBD is 100% THC free and secondly, they wanted to remove the stigma that cannabis still faces to this day, despite its fast paced legalization across the globe and recognition as an alternative to traditional mass produced pharmaceuticals.
The aim was to create something that could be as much at home in a surfers backpack as it would be being prescribed by a GP. What was produced was a clean, sleek, yet energetic brand that balances marketable vibrancy, as well as the feeling of data driven results and respectable self-medication.
Starting with the ever so humble nano-particle is where the journey started. How to create supporting graphics that could be linked into the logo, packaging and science of the product? Through much exploration, a system of graphics were developed around concentric and patterned circles or dots. This initial decision to honor the dot like nature of nano-particles can be seen through the entire brand, from the construct of the logo to the shape of the actual packaging that houses the CBD tincture dropper.
Branding and Visual Identity
- Art Direction: Dustin Holmes
- Graphic Design: Dustin Holmes, Jenna Tupin, Stephanie Handley, Yuen Shan Man
- Animation: Dustin Holmes, Stephanie Handley, Jenna Turpin, Yuen Shan Man
- Illustration: Dustin Holmes, Stephanie Handley, Jenna Turpin
- Portfolio Photography and Post Production: Dustin Holmes (Unless stated)
- Project Management: Dustin Holmes, Jenna Turpin
- Packaging Production: Dustin Holmes, Jenna Turpin
- Web design: Chris Janhle and Peter Reynolds