BUCK is proud to have worked with Transportation Alternatives to bring attention to Spatial Equity NYC, a new tool created with MIT's Norman B. Leventhal Center for Advanced Urbanism to map the (in)equity of space and how it impacts our health, environment, and the ways we get around.
To accompany the release of Spatial Equity NYC, BUCK created a short film that highlights how data can reveal the inequities across NYC streets and city planning—and provide positive solutions for the people of New York.
Not all streets are created equal
A Tool for a Better New York
Some streets are wide and leafy, others narrow and steamy, and the rest are famously congested. One size does not fit all in New York’s terra firma. Those differences, though, can create inequitable consequences for its citizens, and Transportation Alternatives have been working with MIT on a tool that aims to reveal those disparities.
The tool, Spatial Equity NYC, uses publicly-available data to measure, compare, and visualize different types of public space — from streets to bus lanes to parks — between neighborhoods.That data is then paired with demographic data, from street-level to city wide. The hope is that the tool will be utilized by New Yorkers from all walks of life to improve the streets and make the city safer and fairer for everyone.
This was exactly the kind of project we love making at BUCK — creatively fulfilling while also raising awareness of public space equity in New York city.
- Executive Creative Director: Ben Langsfeld
- Executive Producer: Kim Stephens
- Creative Director: Ege Soyuer
- Head of Strategy: Marla Moore
- Producer: Dani Ramirez; Tamara Campbell
- Associate Creative Director: Doug Hindson
- 2D Animation Lead: Diego Abad
- Art Director: Pierre-Nicolas Riou
- Head of Copy: David Evans
- Design: Diego Abad; Jose Flores
- Senior Copywriter: Josephine Heintz
- Senior 2D Animator: Vero Gomez
- Junior 2D Animator: Meitar Almog
- 2D Apprentice: Yinan Liang
- Client: Danny Harris
- Client: Katie Lorah
- 2D Animation: Tucker Klein
- Music Studio: Ambrose Yu
- Audio Mix: Ambrose Yu